Thursday, March 5, 2009

Love Them Past The Poop

This was a phrase the Lord spoke to me several years ago when I first started in ministry. I was raised on the East Coast in VA and lived in the same area all of my life until I moved to Las Vegas two years ago. I miss family, friends, and the parks. I’ll include my family and friends in future blogs, but I want to talk about Newport News Park in this blog. I’m very fond of this park because of the many hours in prayer and reflection I spent talking to God. The day this phrase was dropped on me wasn’t like an ordinary trip. The drive into the park was ordinary…people walking their dogs on trails; moms and dads pushing their little ones on swings and watching their kids fly down slides with great laughter; people playing basketball and grilling their favorite meat (BBQ ribs are my favorite). However, the bridge was different on this particular day. I’ve walked across this bridge many times through the years. I’ve seen it rebuilt, restored, and repaired. I’ve seen it sanded, stained, and supported. I’ve also seen people fishing from it, birds taking a rest before continuing there journey and people making out on it (helloooo, get a room!). BUT this day was different. The bridge looked the same but the birds were different. Normally there would be 5-10 birds hanging out on the bridge and when you got close enough to them they would fly off and find a nearby tree to perch themselves on until you passed. On this certain day, there were about 30-50 seagulls hanging out on the bridge. The closer I got to them; they didn’t do what they normally would do when someone walked by them. They flew away and came back to the spot they left. I also noticed the weather stained bridge was covered with a grey matter…you guessed it BIRD POOP! So I asked the Lord, “What are you saying to me.” It’s always a good practice to ask Him this question when you haven’t got a clue about what’s going on.

This is what He said:

Henry, the bridge represents Jesus. He came and laid His life down to fill the chasm between man and God. He is the way we get to God (there is no other way by which man can be saved). The seagulls represent people. They will make a lot of noise, use the bridge as a prop and ultimately leave a present in the form of grey matter when they fly away. The Lord challenged me to be more like Jesus in my life and be a bridge that leads them to Him. He said people will come in your life and people will go, people will also leave grey matter on your life, but you’re role is the same role Jesus had, YOU MUST LOVE THEM PAST THE POOP!

Where are you in your relationship with people? Do they irritate, frustrate, anger, offend you or rub you the wrong way? I have great news for you! You have the opportunity to be more like Christ and love them past their poop. It’s liberating and forming us more into the image of the One who was the ultimate example in what to do with the human race turns your world grey. So, go out and love people today!

1 comment:

  1. Thats a great analogy Henry and i totally get it....i used to feed the many billions of seagulls on the navy base back in the day when i was first married,and the greatest joy for me was being able to reach out and have them eat from your hands...its hard to get close to birds and it does take something to entice them,but the reward is far greater than the effort,how you connect with something...like people.

    ReplyDelete