Saturday, March 7, 2009

Conversation with an Officer Part I

I love the military! I'm a former military brat (my dad was in the Army for 21 years). A few things I love about the men and women who fight for the freedom I enjoy as an American are: their dedication to country and the citizens of this great country; their work ethic; their understanding and respect of authority; and their commitment to one another.

I asked a friend, who is an officer in the military, what makes soldiers committed to one another during wartime. He said, we try to develop relationships of trust during peace time (paraphrase). He goes out of his way to drop by the office of soldiers under his command, instead of them coming to see him and scheduling off duty activities to develop camaraderie between the team. These interactions are to genuinely strengthen the team.

I love this example of someone in charge taking the initiative to display commitment...it reminds me how God didn't wait until we made the first move but He took the first step to show how committed He was to mankind by sending Jesus to reconcile us to Him (for God so loved the world that He gave His only Son John 3:16). He displayed what's expected of a leader.

You may be a president of a company, a pastor of a church, a married person, a parent, etc...what are you doing to build trust in the lives of the people you influence? What you invest in during peacetime, you'll reap when wartime comes. Today invest commitment and compassion in the ones that are around you.


No comments:

Post a Comment